Sep 3, 2010

Just walk in and tear my heart into shreds

Western songs can try all they want, but when it comes to emotions, Chinese songs own all.

I was in the Council room with Wei Liang one night and Colin had set the radio tuner to 93.3, and I realised how different the mood was. When I stay back till late in the Council room and 98.7's playing, the atmosphere's usually relaxed and comfortable and I'm able to focus on my work. When the slow Chinese songs were playing, though, I realised I was spending more time daydreaming about bittersweet memories and being emo than actually doing anything.

Chinese songs just do that to you. It's the music. I mean, the lyrics definitely contribute a great deal too because the Mandarin language is incredibly emotive and expressive, but I usually don't understand what they're saying so it's the music for me.

I haven't listened to Chinese songs in a really long time. For a few months after last year's breakup, listening to Chinese songs would remind me of our time together and I'd just start crying. That's why I ended up drowning myself in emotionless dance tracks from artists like Lady Gaga's. It numbed the pain. And English songs, when compared to Chinese songs, are practically emotionless, really.

Listen to JJ Lin's Bu Liu Lei De Ji Chang. It made my non-JJ-fan friends cry once upon a time.
*proud mother's grin*


And this song doesn't sound particularly emo, but I love the lyrics and video.


No comments: