Sep 3, 2010

JC is really taking its toll on me

.... I don't ever recall blogging so infrequently. I remember the five-posts-a-day times.

Today I performed as a dancer (albeit a noob one) for the last time, and went for my last Dance practice, but I'll leave that post for later... I'm in a rush right now. I just wanted to blog about a sight that sort of touched me in a funny way.

Below my block of flats, there's a field, a little fitness corner and a basketball court. There were no families flying kites at the field today, but there was the rather common sight (although I hardly see it because I always get home so late) of all sorts of people hanging out at the fitness corner. Kindergarten kids with their primary school siblings, grannies fussing over some baby in a pram, maids chatting, that sort of thing. At the basketball court, some tall Chinese dude's basketball had gotten stuck in between the hoop and the board, and he was throwing his shoe at it in an attempt to get it down. And then there were these two small Malay boys laughing and throwing their basketball at it to try and help him too.

Call me weird; I just think it was a really pretty sight. The fitness corner was actually full of people, and both halves of the basketball were used by different groups of people - that Chinese man and the Malay boys, and a small group of secondary school kids. I just thought it was really nice that random neighbours - both the very young and the old - were having fun below my block, and I don't know, these things bring a sort of warmth. This is why I'm pretty glad I'm living here.

During my Sec 1-3 days when I went to bed before eleven, I remember the sounds of basketballs and teenagers' laughter putting me to sleep. Now, at 2am, everything's silent and cold, and a reminder of how it would be if I lived in a condo or on landed property.

So, so what if I live in a HDB? I really like living here. It's just really nice to see fellow residents mixing around and having fun at the area below my block. Sure, I may not know my neighbours at all, but it's still nice seeing other people have fun.

I should learn to open up to my neighbours. I don't even know what they look like.

No comments: