Jan 23, 2010

And now I stand, forever free, My Saviour rescued me

Dad's sick today = no dinner with my grandma = I could go for Church!!! Got Mum to drive me to Expo right after Piano lessons ended at 5.

I was feeling hopelessly lost when I entered Expo Hall 1 (Services are usually held at Hall 8) and was so relieved to see Jason standing there waiting for me. I felt cared for... someone knew I'd be lost, and came to help me even before I asked for it. It's the feeling you get when you wake up feeling sick and realise your mum got up early just to make you a hearty breakfast.

The moment I started singing I felt the God's presence upon me. I held my tears back and thanked Him for seeing me today; He knew that I had come despite my stomach cramps and rewarded my enthusiasm by letting me feel His presence.

Service was GREAT. So enlightening. I wish everyone could hear it, so I'll talk about it here:

Pastor talked about sacrifice and how it equates to love. Adam and Eve's sons Cain and Abel gave sacrifices to God - Cain gave some crops while Abel gave the firstborn lamb of his flock. God didn't accept Cain and his 'sacrifice'.

Sacrifice is giving up something you treasure for a greater purpose. The importance of the thing you sacrifice also reflects your faith. If you have great faith in God, you won't hesitate to part with a lot because you know God will bless you back with more. If you think "I'll just give $1 because I'm really broke and need to save" it means your faith that God will provide for you when you need it isn't strong enough.

Abraham and Sarah were a childless couple; Sarah was barren. When Abraham was 100 years old and Sarah was 90, God told them He would bless them with a child. He did. One day God told Abraham, "Take your son, your only son - yes, Isaac, whom you love so much... Go and sacrifice him as a burnt offering..". God told Abraham to sacrifice his miracle son to Him. Abraham did not refuse or object - he actually went up Mount Moriah intending to sacrifice Isaac. Of course, an angel stopped him at the last minute, telling him not to harm Isaac as God already knew Abraham's love for Him was great.

"I love my parents so much that I'm give them half the money I earn"
"I'm so thankful for everything my best friend has done for me that I spent all my savings on her birthday present"
"It's not the gift but it's the thought that counts"

On that same Mount Moriah, King David gave up ALL the money he had - which was a LOT - to build a temple for God. For a king to give up everything he had is a huge sacrifice. But he knew this temple wasn't just for mere mortals - it was for the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, and so it had to be extravagant, magnificent.

Pastor says Mount Moriah is now what we know as Calvary - where Jesus sacrificed his life on the cross for us. He did cry out to God for relief of his suffering, but he knew that his death was necessary and would bring salvation to all of us, and that gave him the strength to endure the torture of the cross.

By the way, I read some articles online and I realise something really cool.

Like Jesus, Isaac (Abraham's child) was miraculously conceived. Sarah, Isaac’s mother, was 90 years old when she bore Isaac and had been barren all her life; Abraham was 100 years old (Genesis 17:17).

Like Jesus, Isaac was his father’s beloved and only son (Genesis 22:2).

Like Jesus carried the cross, Isaac carried the wood for his own sacrifice (Genesis 22:6).

Like Jesus spending three days in the tomb before the resurrection, the journey to Moriah took three days (Genesis 22:4).


Amazing huh?

Service was great. Wish I could go every week.

Love is a sacrifice - parents sacrifice for their kids; soldiers sacrifice for their country.

God is a giver, not a taker, God teaches us to give so that He can bless us with more in return, and use us to fulfil His purpose.

No comments: