Dec 16, 2009

KAREN IS FRUSTRATED

I was going to blog about Kane and Abel, but I'm too frustrated now.

I can't stand it when people "turn one big round and don't answer the question", as Maddie puts it. I asked the University of Melbourne if they would accept a graduate from Ngee Ann Poly with a Diploma in Mass Communications for their Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) course, and they replied me with a very lengthy email and a lot of links to references and still didn't answer my question. And I'm trying to go to various JCs' websites to look for the cut-off points (I know they've got all the papers pasted up on the walls in school but I never bothered looking at them because I'm probably going to Poly) and I end up with all these links without getting anywhere. I still haven't gotten what I need.

I'm trying to decide on my own future here and I'm not getting any useful help. Thanks to the Ngee Ann Poly website, I know that graduates from NP have gone to the University of Melbourne, but that doesn't give me enough information on how difficult it is and how well I have to do and if I can take the course I want. IRRITATING LEH!!!!!

-
Right, I stayed up until 4.30am yesterday finishing Kane and Abel. I was actually feeling really sleepy at 11pm but Mum's lecture about my post-secondary education drove my tiredness away. I love the book. Of course, the twists and shocking revelations didn't make as great an impact on me as they did the first time I read it two years ago, because now I already knew everything that was going to happen. I remember my jaw literally dropping when I read the book for the first time and realised who Abel's backer was. I'm damn in love with William Kane. He seems like the typical insensitive, boring banker, but he's emotional and sympathetic and so kind and generous. Hahahahahaha. I want to watch the movie.

I have to restrain myself from reading the book a third time. Awesome story. I'm glad William realised all the little connections he had with Abel because it was so frustrating when he didn't initially. It's quite striking, I think. Like, his greatest enemy actually passed him on several occasions when both of them didn't recognise one another, in different stages of their lives.

--SPOILER ALERT --

First when Abel had just arrived in America and was working as a waiter, serving Charles, Matthew and William, who was about to start school in Harvard. It was because of what Charles said to William - "Your father would have been proud of you today" - that Abel decided he wanted to make something of his life. Second in Boston, the event that caused their deep hatred for one another. Abel felt William had caused Davis Leroy's death and hated William as he felt he was extremely uncaring as a banker, and vowed to kill William personally as revenge - a vow that he set his life on completing. Then in Germany, when both men had enlisted in war and Abel had saved William. And then both their children - Florentyna and Richard - fell in love with one another and ran away from their parents who both strongly objected to their marriage so that they could be together. And then they met on Fifth avenue and William saw Abel's silver band and all the previous connections with Abel - small and huge - all came together to him for the first time. And then Abel realised William had been his backer when William had told him that his bank was unable to support him and would have to take away everything he owned if he didn't find his own backer. Without William's personal financial support, Abel wouldn't have been able to be as successful as he became. All this without knowing one another at all.

They met in the restaurant as waiter and customer, and in Boston as client and banker (and then huge enemies), in Germany as rescuer and patient, and they never knew. William only realised that when he walked past Abel the day he died.

I think the thing I can't stand was that as different as their lives were - William was the son of a banker and Abel a Polish immigrant who had been through war and a lot of suffering - there were a few similarities in their lives. They were both born on April 18 (The back of the book says April 15 but it's a typo error), both did exceedingly well in studies, both lost the people dearest to them in their youth. And still neither of them ever knew this.

I love the book and how it talks about their whole lives, from their birth all the way up to their death. It's fascinating to read about Abel's crazy tough childhood and all that he had to endure, and William's diligence and experiences and heartbreak when his parents died. I love reading about William's emotions, how he cried and was unable to focus on his studies and all that, because you wouldn't associate a banker with an emotional person.

"A story of epic proportions of the struggle of young Abel who survives the war-torn camps and the lavish upbringing of young Willam Kane."

.....I'm late for my meeting with Jacey. I don't know if it's a good idea to go on the Flyer when the sky is threatening rain, with thunder and grey clouds and it being the monsoon season, but I'll pray for the best.

I think my style of writing is beginning to change. I ought to read more.

No comments: