Jul 9, 2009

I like it slow

Eng exam - I'm quite disappointed with my results. I keep telling myself I want to get an A1, or an A at least for school exams, but.. my total score for Paper 1&2 was 64.7%. Even with oral, it's only just about 70%. And it's really disappointing. I mean, okay, I can't expect much since I bloody FAILED my stupid comprehension, but.. I only got 19/30 for Functional Writing. Which is really bad. I need to get at least 22 to get my goal.

My Eng compo - I got 25/30. I don't really think I deserved that high a mark but well, haha (: Janey got the same marks too, and although hers was half the length of mine (I think I only got the marks because my essay was 4 pages long), her descriptions were DAMN GOOD. I was very taken in by her essay. It was about ballet, about auditioning to be a prima ballerina in Swan Lake. Janey thinks it was too dramatic, but eh, I don't think so. After being in Dance for four years, no I don't think it was too dramatic. It was passionate, and passion's what Dance is all about (: DAMN AZALEA GOT 27/30 OMGGGGG. She's also the top in the level for English! 74%.
(Wah lao, I'm making Crescent sound like a loser school. Top student got 74% lol)

"There was a spark in the corner of her eye. And the spark ignited into a flame, glowing, sparkling, before igniting into an inferno."
- Janey. It had something to do with the ballet teacher scolding her and telling her to give up her chances of auditioning for the role. Pretty right? Here's another phrase:
"She was a swan, her grace and beauty depicted in dance"

Mine was about singing. Azalea, Janey and I wrote about determination.

"When I was young and could not express myself in words, I would lie sprawled over the rug in the living room and watch television programmes that involved a lot of music, like Sesame Street. Whenever a song came on, I would giggle excitedly and try to clap or squeal or dance along. My passion for music had been evident even at that time. However, there was just one problem: I was tone-deaf.

The colours and emotions certain types of songs made me think of was my way of interpreting them. However, as much as I enjoyed trying to clap or sing along, I was also unable to grasp the tunes or beats played. I, oblivious to this problem of mine, would sing and try to bop my head to the beats every time a song played, whether in reality or in my mind, not knowing that I was making a complete fool of myself. All that mattered to me was that I loved music, and it had a way of expressing my emotions, through the emotions the song itself conveyed.

When I was thirteen, a fresh, naive preteen who believed wholly in dreams, I decided to take up a singing course. My friends and parents laughed and encouraged me mockingly, unaware that I had meant what I said. When I told them it was not a joke, my friends glanced at one another uncomfortably and told me I would never even be able to carry a simple tune.

Dreams shattered and self-esteem torn apart, I sought solace in my aunt, a young, doe-eyed woman who was a vocal instructor. Eyes wet with tears, I asked my aunt if I had any hope at all in being able to sing. My aunt looked into my eyes assuringly, her gaze full of warmth, sympathy and comfort.."

I think the most profound word I used was "oblivious". LOL. HAHAHA. Or "understatement". Or "reconfirming" HAHA. You know what, I really should learn from Janey and Azalea and improve on my vocabulary.

Jessie said something I found quite true. I can write, but the stuff I write would be the stuff you'd find in model essay books, like the kind about being trapped in a lift or going fishing, the lame shit. Stuff Jessie and Millie and Annie write are beautiful, and emotional, the kind of stories that'd get you hooked, but somehow not the stuff Cambridge markers would like, which I think is very stupid and unfair. :/

No comments: