Sep 10, 2013

would you call yourself a writer?

"Hi, I'm Karen. I don't really like saying 'I'm a writer' or 'I write' or defining who I am by the fact that I write. I don't write out of choice. I write out of emotional necessity."

I was talking to someone about this, who agreed and said "I wouldn't think of myself as a creative writer either because it's from my own life and my own emotions. And when I post it's very cathartic." And who went on to say that I wrote boldly, openly and honestly.

Well, yeah. I write openly and honestly because it's just from my own life and my own emotions. I like to try and make it pretty, but I can't come up with something on command. I can't write for the sake of writing, or even for the sake of beauty.

I don't really think I have a choice - it's my only form of expression and release. I need to get it out there. I'm often surprised when people say they like a post that flew out from my fingertips in a twenty-minute bleed of emotion, because I gave it hardly any thought. I just needed to reach inside to find that ache and put it on the screen. It's honest and raw in emotion because if not it wouldn't work, but the content of the pieces are often just a bit of truth mixed with a huge lot of other stuff and stories from wherever. To protect myself and other people. (sorry guys, my life is actually pretty boring) It's like I have to put this big bold red line out on the screen but I don't want it to be found so I add in a whole lot of other bold coloured lines and geometric shapes so the red line is just a stroke in a painting.

I don't know why I started talking about this.

Anyway yeah lol

No comments: