Jul 6, 2013

When something you didn't say could've changed someone's life

This is to you, to the one I to whom I should have spoken up. I should have verbally acknowledged my agreement and told you that you were right, that you are strong, and that I admire your stand. I shouldn't have kept silent. I don't know why I did. Maybe I was self-conscious. You were speaking your mind and you were right and I agreed and had more, bigger points in support of that, but I kept silent. I let you be interrupted by those who disagreed, who said it was okay, who implied that you were holding on to a useless virtue.

I didn't give you my personal opinion, and no one asked for it, since they assumed my argument was based on religion alone. I didn't make an effort. I should have stood up for my view, and for you.

I just hope that as I'm typing this, you're strong enough to make a decision that will not cause yourself hurt. All I can say is that I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't speak up. I'm sorry that I knew, already, the consequences, and I've been down that road, and I know what it does to people like you and me. I know. And I'm so sorry.

I should have said something. I'm so sorry. If what I didn't say has changed you, I don't know how to deal with my own regret. If things have happened, things have happened. But it doesn't have to change you. What's done is done, but you can still make a stand. You can still choose to circumcise your heart and decide that one regret was enough - there's no need to descend into desensitisation.

No comments: