Jun 20, 2013

Fire

We all like to think we're strong enough. That we're bigger than that, beyond that, mature enough. The truth is that we're simply giving ourselves excuses to toy with temptation. We go closer, go closer to the fire thinking it's okay, I just want to look at how pretty it is. Obviously I'm not going to get burned this time. I know better now.

 We all think we do, but we have to look closely at why we want to go close in the first place. You still do long to put your fingers to the flame, don't you? Feel its warmth, let the flame lick you, but you think you're stronger than that this time.

I'm not going to lie. I look at the fire and want to hold it in my hands. I want to put my hand over the mysterious flame. It burns brilliantly and I want to hold it. My brain keeps trying to tell me it isn't like what it seems. My brain's getting a little worried in that corner over there. Oh why on earth did you go near it anyway? It just makes your heart reach out with desire and your brain try to pull you back in terror, it makes all that tension start up within you again. The frustration.

Well, sticking my finger over the flame a little won't hurt.


 Your hand's screaming, and as you curse the burns, you wonder how many more times this is going to happen until you finally become dead to the fire. Until you finally decide you don't want it anymore.

No comments: