May 30, 2012

to the fallen, and the fallen stars

(A response to Eugene)

"they say that many of the stars you now see in the night sky, all their brilliance and beauty, are from stars that have long since died. All that is left is the light it once emitted. When you wish upon a star, you are wishing upon something that is no longer there beyond a strong beam of photons. Your wishes are dead, meaningless, just like these stars."


Then I won't wish on the stars in the night sky. I'll wish on the Moon. I'll wish on the Sun, that still burns bright, that gives life. I'll wish it on my own heart, I'll carve the words on its walls; with each painful heartbeat, I'll keep my wish in mind.

If I wish on the stars and my wish falls back down, dead, I'll wish on something else. I won't give up simply because I can't; wishes are made out of love, of passion, and that's what keeps one alive.

And the stars that we see now, many light years away, they were once alive. They burned with the miracle of life once upon a time. You're right; what we see now is the little legacy they left somewhere in the universe billions of years ago.

I'll be like the stars. Now, I will burn with the passion and life of flaming fire; I'll work at the destiny I am to leave behind. Light years later, when I'm dead and gone, someone somewhere will still see my light. Someone will look at the shadow of my life and think I'm beautiful, and they'll wish on me.

Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight
Someone's thinking of me, and loving me tonight; 
Somewhere out there, someone's saying a prayer
That we'll find one another
In that big somewhere out there

No comments: