May 12, 2011

We don't know how long this road will last

Chinese songs. There were a couple of songs we once used to describe our little crazy love - our songs.

爱时常让两个人受伤 
爱也总让两个人更坚强
我们不会知道 以后的日子会有多长
在我的世界 都会有你守护肩膀

Then one day we began to write our own.

I remember your lyrics. They're still beautiful to me, because they really are. It was a well done song.

你的心跳就是我的催眠曲.
Do you still remember this?

The Chinese language is just....beautiful. It's so emotive, painfully emotive. Even the happy things can sound painful. Like how I do it. I've always wished I were good enough at it to be able to use it as a tool for expression. Wish I could be in command of the language, twirl it around my fingers, create magic with it like how I attempt to write emotively with the English language sometimes. The English language isn't an emotive one. We can attempt to play with words to make them strike emotion in readers, but the words aren't alive.

With Chinese, the words are alive, more so in Traditional Chinese words (that they use in Taiwan) than in the simplified Chinese we learn, because they still carry a hint of the word's history. Take the word 'Listen' for example: in simplified Chinese it's 听 which doesn't tell you much, but look at the traditional Chinese version:
聽.


Okay I'm no expert, but you do see the symbol for the ear (耳), the eye (目) and the heart (心). You don't just listen with the ears, but you use the eyes in the attention you give the speaker, and you also listen with your heart.

Actually, I'm probably wrong. Anyone able to tell me more about this word in particular? I just love the concept of the ears, eyes and heart all playing a part in listening.

Dammit lah wish I were bilingual.

No comments: