Jan 29, 2011

"SMOCAP! We need to put the mud back into the mud hole!"


Watching videos of our walk-ins on Youtube gets my blood pumping with excitement again. It's awesome that they were recorded and put on Youtube. Oh the memories oh the hard work oh the mad enthusiasm.

Day Two was fantastic. Really had fun. I see my OG kids coming together now, and I'm loving all that's happening. Melvin kept refusing to do the mud game in the beginning and a few of the others were jokingly plotting a mud-dunk. We only managed to play two outdoor games - much less than the ideal number, because today's games were awesome and I really wanted them to have a shot at all of them - but we also had fun with the icebreaker games like H2O. We've finished learning the mass dance.

We've chosen our OG reps. When people weren't willing to step up, I gave them this motivational talk thingo. And I realised how much I meant everything I had said.

Back in Crescent, I really was a nobody - a socially awkward emokid who wished she were friends with certain people, but never knew how to get to know them better. A kid who, at times, stayed in the classroom during recess so she wouldn't have to sit alone in the canteen. And then by a miracle called Guin's Magic, I became the discipline head of Crescent Dance when it was unimaginable that I'd even be in the committee. At first I struggled badly, but being forced to step out of my comfort zone made me the discipline head I never imagined I'd become. Crescent Dancers from my batch tell me that at first everyone had serious doubts about my capability, but by the end of our term they couldn't imagine anyone doing a better job.

And in AC, I decided I'd no longer be that lonely girl with regrets. It'd be the last two years of being in a school with a school identity and uniform and all. I told myself that I would work to become the open girl that I wished I was. I'd have friends, great friends whom I'd love and trust. I'd make these two years legendary.

Orientation 2010 was awesome. While our group, Vetar, was electing an OG Rep, I thought I'd take a step forward - after all, this was the chance for me to open up and make friends. And then I realised I wasn't too bad at taking the lead - from the admin stuff like printing Vetar's contact details to fun stuff like celebrating birthdays at the bleachers.

And being the OG rep with Joey gave me the courage to step up to be the Class Rep. (And Joey took my place when I had to give up the position for Council.)

And being the Class Rep gave me the courage to try out for Council, which I'd never thought I'd ever be a part of.

And then I decided to go all the way - try out for the Exco. And now I'm the head of Public Relations.

How you begin a year is really important, cliche as is sounds. I'm so grateful for everything I was a part of. In the write-up for Mzonka in the Orientation Booklet, I wrote:

Here in d’ACland, be prepared to do things you’ve never thought possible of yourself. But for that to become true, you first have to dream. Stretch your imagination; don’t ever shy away from expectations. Each of us d’AClanders are encouraged and nurtured to reach for goals that seem somewhere far beyond that last rainbow– and then aim higher. We have high aspirations. In d’ACland, the sky’s the limit. Reach for it.


I wrote that with all my heart.

No comments: