Jan 27, 2011

Pre-Orientation

I look back at my posts of 2010’s Orientation and the rush of excitement hits me just like it did a year ago. I remember how on the first day when we had to introduce ourselves with an alliteration, Kester had stolen my adjective when he said “Kind Kester” so in desperation I said “…Kinky Karen?”

Oh the days. Hardcore cheering at the bleachers with Mass Rally – I remember Jayme and myself going crazy. Laughing at Tim. Learning the mass dance. Getting all excited about AC Dance when I realized Zayana was a part of it. Guitar Hero at Ching Sheng’s place (and laughing at Tim trying to sing Bring Me To Life by Evanescence). Playing the Husband and Wife game (aka H2O) that we all loved. Sheena’s “Hi Kester, you’re damn buff.”

I remember it, I loved every bit of it. Maddie said she had never seen me so happy in my blog entries. It gave me passion. I loved cheering. I used the Victory cheer in one of my Council campaigning posters – I didn’t realize hardly anyone got it until I saw the poster again two months ago and a fellow 35th went “Oh, so that’s what it was. I thought it was a random phrase.”

I was talking to Andrew (Fok) at the lobby after our OGL meeting today, and he told me about how he was handling the appeal cases. Mrs Chan said there were almost 300 people appealing today, and it hurts to know that although there’ll be many more in the next few days, very, very, very few will make it in.

Andrew talked about how it was awesome that once he said ‘Hi, I’m Andrew calling from ACJC-’, shouts or screams or ‘Ohmygosh’s would be heard on the other line.

It’s beautiful to think about, but it also hurts to know that hundreds of others who came all the way here to appeal for our school’s acceptance didn’t get it. And it hurts further to know that not everyone who made it into AC treasures the spot they've been given, because those who don't are taking the space of one more person who had been wishing for that spot so badly.

But things will work out eventually. ACJC wasn’t a JC I thought I’d happily associate myself with – until Orientation came. I loved every bit of it, and I began to love the school. I know a lot of other ACSians who weren’t ecstatic about being posted to ACJC at first, but who came to love the school – enough to sacrifice time and effort to become OGLs, to spread the love for AC to the juniors.

And like our very dear, very-very-much-loved Mrs Chan, I pray for those whose hopes of coming to AC haven’t been realized – that wherever they end up, they’ll call it home in time to come, too.

Get ready for d’ACland, guys. It’s a ride that’ll blow your minds.

No comments: