Nov 26, 2009

In the silence of the night

I'm feeling slightly emotional in a weird way. Imagine what the Sun looks like during a solar eclipse: a dark empty void with little colourful bits of imagination and passion waiting to pour out in writing, but I'm unsure what. I just feel like writing something but I don't know what, like that time in the hotel room after prom when I sat there, pen and blank paper in hand, waiting for something to come. I hate mental blocks and I'll grab at any little spark.

I'm reading Dilbert comics. This book includes Scott Adams' own personal comments of the cartoons, written in his own handwriting at the bottom of the strips. I like it when someone offers a little insight into his personal life. It makes you feel closer to that person even if you don't really know him and it leaves you itching for more. I like it when a writer tells readers about himself on a personal level. It's not exactly at the level of intimacy - there's a hint of closeness but it's not that personal, and you wish you could find out more.

"Debris is hard to draw".
"It's hard to draw mud!"
"I've actually stopped breathing in elevators because I think it sounds loud".
"When I was a bank teller, I was robbed twice at gunpoint. I fantasized about beating up customers."
"My (drawings of) babies look like old men".
"I have to turn the paper upside down to draw Dilbert upside down".
HAHA

No comments: