Sep 7, 2009

Third post in a few HOURS.

I'M HUNGRY AND I HAVEN'T BATHED AND I'VE GOT A MATH AND CHEM PRELIM PAPERS TO FINISH AND THE CAMPAIGN ISN'T LAUNCHED YET AND IF MY DAD COMES BACK NOW I'M DEAD.

But blogging takes priority ;)

I realised something.
Most of the time, we hormonal rebellious teenagers hate it when people tell us what to do. I hated it when people kept telling me to change this and that when I was the leader, then finally someone told me to stop thinking about everyone else's opinions and decide for myself, before giving me more opinions about how my friends felt and telling me I had to change. Wasn't I still listening to people's opinions in the end?
We teenagers hate it when people try to restrict us, control us, tell us what to do. But in the end, when we're trying so hard to be different and do things "our way", to show the world "we can handle things ourselves", "we can survive well on our own, we don't need others to tell us how to do stuff", aren't we doing it all because of others' opinions in the first place?

DO YOU SENSE THE IRONY?!!
In fact, now that I've typed it out, the irony of it is even more obvious.

"I love that keychain!" "Eww I keep seeing people with it, I don't want it anymore."
"I love handmade stuff because they're unique. Nobody else in the world has them. That's how special they are."
"I live on my own because I hate being told what to do. My parents think I'm too young for this and that. Guess what. I'm not as stupid as they think I am."

Guess what, now that they're typed down, it's so obvious that the reason people say things like that is because of others.
So if we people say we hate being controlled by others, why is it that our thoughts and actions are mainly fuelled by those around us?

We ought to be strong enough on our stand to like/want something because we like it, and not let our decisions be wavered by whether other people like it or not.
(Like, if Yiyang likes Miley Cyrus, let him proclaim it boldly for the world to hear!)

Unfortunately, we hormonal teenagers are also actually very self-conscious at heart, and almost everything is based on others' opinions. Even if someone says "I don't want that anymore, because I've seen three other people with it", it's based on others. It's saying "I want to be special", see. But if you're special, you can be like any other ordinary chap and still be unique in your personality. Wanting to stand out from the crowd is also undoubtedly Other-People based.

"I'll do things my way, because I don't want to listen to what anyone else says. It's my life and I control it. Other people don't have a say."

Guess what, usually we get so caught up in making our own decisions that we ignore those that are the best for us, and those that would make us a better person, because we already think "They don't understand" or "That's not what I want". So in the end, we're letting what other people think control us in the opposite way.

Guess what. We're all hypocrites that way.

No comments: