Jan 23, 2011

Must-Visit Place #1: Pompeii

(#2: Venice)

Sarah and I didn't manage to go for the Pompeii exhibition at National Museum of Singapore because they stopped taking in people at around 5pm. WTH!!! Can't believe it's been going on since Oct 16 and I never knew about it. I only realised it was going on yesterday when I saw the advertisement on a darn bus. I need to watch TV more often.

So the distraught us decided to try for another random exhibition instead - something about Sumatra - but that was closed too, so we walked around Dhoby Gauht looking for random art museums. Found one at Stamford House - I can't believe I've never seen the building before, by the way, it's so huge and so beautiful looking -

but the building was CLOSED. We couldn't believe it. So we were, like, "okay whatever let's just go to Substation."

And they were having some funky looking gig event thing there, with punky guys in studded leather vests and shades at the door. And we were like okay let's just go to the Peranakan Museum. Which actually turned out to be really interesting. Wish I had more time to spend in it.

Maybe next time. Was really glad to be able to spend some time with Sarah though, because I haven't seen her in a really long time.

Anyway, because I was so disappointed about missing the Pompeii exhibition, I went on Google and found some amazing images.

I love the first image. I mean, you can't see his expression, but his body language strikes so much emotion already. These were ordinary people and how they were in the last moment of their lives, when the volcano struck in 79AD. It's just...so amazing. The emotion it screams.

This was life 1932 years ago, but human emotions transcend time.


Pompeii.

No comments: