May 1, 2010

Maids who warp the truth - and language barriers

The maid thinks the employer's being heartless / stupid but the employer's speaking from experience, advising her against doing some things because he knows it'll turn out badly. And then when it does turn out badly because she doesn't listen, she complains to the whole world and tells everyone the employer doesn't care about her.

"I said I'm worried for her safety, not that I'm afraid she'll mix with men, but when I said be careful because there are men who might take her things without her knowing during the party, she thought I meant that she'd mix with men"

"Now Yuni in Jarkata, her thing still missing. Why like that? My brother in Jarkata helping her. What kind of employer are you? You think Jarkata very safety? Jarkata very dangerous place. Now her whole family worried for her."

Shrug. I guess some stupid people won't get to see the light anytime soon. And now that she's stuck in Jarkata and has missed her flight (fyi, the air ticket was paid for by my dad) and has lost her second bag of luggage, all because she refused to listen to my dad's instructions, she can go complain to everyone there. I don't expect many maids to have a good impression of Singapore anyway.


You know, our family's first maid, Aunty Renuka from Sri Lanka, was extremely sweet. She took care of me until I was three, I think, and then she went back to start a family or something. And she continued to write letters and send postcards to me for years. I'm just saying.

"So are we going to change our home number? I love our home number you know. It's my birth year and Mark's birth date."

I love my home number too ): we didn't even change it when we moved house (and that's why our number is so different from my other Jurong West friends' numbers). But yes we don't want some paranoid woman calling up our new maid to make her paranoid too.

No comments: