Nov 16, 2009

I post too much for my own good

I bet you miss the good ones.

I met a friend today, I’m meeting a friend tomorrow, and every day has been packed with fun stuff since the O’s have ended. Fun fun fun. I’m squandering money away and I’ve no idea where they’ve all gone (I got $100 on Friday and now I’m left with $20.. and all I bought was eyeliner that cost $20, where did all the rest go?) but it’s okay, money can be saved but the times spent with friends are priceless, and I’ll always treasure having fun with my friends while I can.

On the contrary, a friend of mine whose N levels have ended and who is obsessed with shoes and fashion works from about 9am to 10pm six days a week to earn money to spend on the stuff she likes. She’s bought nine pairs of sneakers and boots with her own money so far – and the average price of each is around $300. Because of her work, she can’t go for cell group, church, and she can’t go out with her friends. Her free days are mostly spent slacking.

“Man, I wish I could go, but work’s taking up all my time,” she tells me. “Oh, the things I do for money.”

And I think, what’s the point?

What’s a holiday meant for in the first place? I see holidays as a time to relax after all the work and stress from school, and to have fun and do the things you like to do, catch up with friends and engage in activities you’ve abandoned during the hectic school term. So why fill your holidays up with stress and un-fun schedules with work? Breaks are meant for resting and “recharging”. If they’re filled with work, you’ll be just as exhausted as you were during the school term anyway. Where’s the time to reward yourself and enjoy life?

Besides, we’ll have more than enough working years after we’ve graduated from schooling anyway, why burden yourself with it at this age, when you’re young and free and full of life? Why waste your youth away?

Beach (Andrea, Jt, Jessie, Me)Beach - Andrea, Jessie, MeCousins playing basketballSarah, Sumay, Me at Sarah's house (playing with her Mac)Janeen's 16th - Jieying Shyan JaneenVS Graduation Concert


In my opinion, holidays should be filled with fun, things you wished you had the time to do during the school term, things that make you feel life’s so worth living again.

Before the rebuttals start coming, I must say that I do agree that getting a job during the holidays is a good thing. It makes us more aware about the importance of money and how we should treasure it, it makes us more independent, it makes us learn more about the world and realise there’s more to life than our little comfort zone. I’m also planning to get one, just for the experience. But I don’t want it to take up so much time. During the school term, my parents are very strict on me and I’m not allowed to go out that much; fun revolves mainly around cell group (I’m not even allowed to go for church) and singing lessons. Of course, life at Crescent with the best friends ever are always interesting though, but you know what I mean?

After all, what are holidays for?

Holiday: a time or period of exemption from any requirement, duty, assessment, etc.

No comments: