Nov 3, 2008

English lessons

(P.S. I'm beginning to blog so many times in a day. Scary)

I'm not an English pro, and my vocabulary sucks, but even I can spot terrible mistakes from people who think they speak damn well. And I don't know if I should feel like laughing or feel sorry for them.

Here goes:
1) Worse vs. Worst
"Worse" is used during comparison of (usually) two things, worst is used for 3 or more things and is used to describe THE WORST thing. :/

Correct usage of the words "worse" and "worst": 
"Math homework is worse than English homework"
"My brother behaves worse than yours"
"My hair looks worse than normal"
"What's even worse was that..."

"Math homework is the worst of all"
"My results were the worst in the level"
"You're the worst person I've ever met"
"The worst thing was that..."

Wrong usage of the words:
"What's even worst was that..."
"You're worst than Sam!"
"Don't try to help, you'll make things worst."

2) Stuffs
The plural for stuff is STUFF. Not stuffs.
Stuffs is an action word 
e.g. "Teacher Stuffs Sock Into Student's Mouth As Punishment For Retaliating" 
Apparently stuffs as a plural is used sometimes in American English or something e.g. "This company exports foodstuffs worldwide" or uh something like that. Anyway Miss Karen Tan says it's wrong. AND IT SOUNDS TERRIBLE!

What I see on a LOT of blogshops (totally wrong):
"Selling many cute and adorable stuffs!"
"Please help me clear my stuffs!"
"Stuffs you wouldn't want to miss!"
That is undoubtedly wrong okay.

Examples of the correct usage of "stuff" (as a noun):
"Stuff you wouldn't want to miss!"
"I emptied my bag and chucked the stuff under my bed" (haha)

No comments: